This week we are talking with Simone Davies. Simone is the author of “The Montessori Toddler”, a comprehensive guide to raising toddlers in a Montessori way. The book is based on her nearly 15 years experience working with toddlers as an AMI Montessori teacher in Sydney and in Amsterdam. Simone currently runs parent-child Montessori classes in Amsterdam at her school Jacaranda Tree Montessori. She also has a popular blog, “The Montessori Notebook” and is mother to two young adults. Listen to Simone as she talks about how teenagers and toddlers are surprisingly similar, what the Montessori model of education is and how to incorporate it into your parenting.
Listen as Simone shares:
- Parenting teenagers: seeing that your parenting hard work is starting to pay off.
- Going through the hard bits with your children: learning to hold space for them to feel.
- Montessori vs. traditional education systems.
- Importance of education models fitting in with your family values.
- Montessori principles can be applied in your home.
- The internet can be helpful for connecting with other families.
- Pillars of Montessori: curiosity, responsibility, trust.
- Montessori at home: setting up your home, having activities, and parenting.
- The importance for slowing down & connection.
- How to scaffold skills.
- The importance of observing our children and ourselves.
“Montessori teachers give as little help as necessary, but as much as they [students] need.” – Simone Davies
“Teachers have a lot of wisdom that we could really benefit from.” – Simone Davies
“There’s so much guilt around parenting because you see these perfect Instagram families. You know, life isn’t perfect.” – Simone Davies
“As a parent we have so much stuff coming up for us, and how can we process that and where do we process that so we don’t take it out on our kids.” – Simone Davies
LINKS FROM SHOW:
MORE FROM SIMONE:
MORE FROM MOM DECONSTRUCTED:
MORE FROM KATE:
MORE FROM LIZ:
Patreon: This podcast is made possible by listeners, like you. We believe that community is key to motherhood, we invite you to consider joining our Patreon community and supporting us with a monthly donation on our page: www.patreon.com/momdeconstructed.
If you would like to become one of our sponsors visit: www.momdeconstructed.com/advertising and start the conversation!
All our sponsor offers are available on our website. To get all the discounts and perks go to www.momdeconstructed.com/sponsors
This page may include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, you won’t pay one penny more, but we will receive a small compensation so we can keep on creating this podcast & website for you.