Kate & Liz discuss a BIG topic this week, one that we are still actively navigating with our young children: How do you raise socially aware children in this crazy, opinionated world of ours? We discuss how we are trying to expose our children to diversity and adversity, and teaching them to embrace and celebrate it.
Listen as we share how we are *hoping* to raise kids that are socially aware:
- Talk about differences with your kids, at whatever level they are at
- Teaching our children to reach out and engage with others that are “different”
- Why we feel uncomfortable when our kids point out the differences
- How we encourage our kids to explain to us why people are different
- Teaching our children that everyone has a story, and to celebrate that
- Practice what we preach
Links mentioned in the episode:
Longest Shortest Time: How not to raise a racist.
Wonder by R. J. Palacio
Episode 05 with Sasha Gray
MORE FROM MOM DECONSTRUCTED:
Support this podcast on Patreon.
Leave a review on ITunes here.
Sign up for our newsletter here.
Follow Mom Deconstructed on Facebook.
Follow Mom Deconstructed on Instagram.
Follow Mom Deconstructed on Twitter.
MORE FROM KATE:
Kate Turza, Postpartum Doula
Follow Kate on Facebook
Join Kate’s Facebook Group, Reality Tykes
MORE FROM LIZ:
Mom…In The Works
Follow Liz on Facebook
Follow Liz on Instagram