This week we are connecting with Melanie Lippman. Melanie shares with us how she and her husband made the decision to have her son evaluated for a sensory processing disorder and navigating the early intervention process as a parent. Melanie is a Long Island based Image Consultant with over 15 years’ experience in the fashion industry. She educates her clients on how to dress for their body and lifestyle by teaching them new ways to wear the clothing hanging in their closet. Melanie feels that when you are confident about how you present yourself you are able to show up and conquer anything the day brings you! (including blow out diapers!).
Listen as Melanie shares how she:
- Puts her ego aside as a parent to be a more conscious parent.
- Wishes she could be more present as a parent, and how she’s working towards that.
- Put the pieces together that her son may have a sensory processing disorder, rather than just “bad behavior”.
- Made the decision to have her son evaluated by the early intervention program in her school district.
- Surrounded herself with support and advocates to attend meetings.
- Found her emotions getting the best of her during the process of evaluation.
- Her tips for advocating for your child.
- What she learned about her own sensory issues during this process.
“They are who they are, and we just need to get over it.” – Melanie Lippman
“I needed the time to process all the information.” – Melanie Lippman
“When someone is speaking about your kid like he is a specimen, I literally couldn’t speak…If I speak, it will be water works.” – Melanie Lippman
“Sometimes you need to fix something here….as opposed to blaming something else.” – Melanie Lippman
“Be the squeaky wheel…Keep asking the questions.” – Melanie Lippman
LINKS FROM SHOW:
Patreon: This podcast is made possible by listeners, like you. We believe that community is key to motherhood, we invite you to consider joining our Patreon community and supporting us with a monthly donation on our page: www.patreon.com/momdeconstructed.
If you would like to become one of our sponsors visit: www.momdeconstructed.com/advertising and start the conversation!
All our sponsor offers are available on our website. To get all the discounts and perks go to www.momdeconstructed.com/sponsors
MORE FROM MELANIE
MORE FROM MOM DECONSTRUCTED:
MORE FROM KATE:
MORE FROM LIZ:
This page may include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, you won’t pay one penny more, but we will receive a small compensation so we can keep on creating this podcast & website for you.